Tuesday 1 April 2008

Where everybody knows your name...and your accent







You cannot come to Boston without visiting Cheers, one of the greatest comedies of all time. There are two bars that lay claim to it's heritage. First there is the replica bar based on the set on quincy market, which is every bit as rubbish as a fake should be but does give you a free cheers tankard when you order a beer. The waitress explained that once you finish your drink you can take your glass home, now being extremely self concious and not wanting to look like i didnt know what i was doing i glugged my beer down, wrapped the glass in napkins and stuffed it in my bag. I then went outside to speak to my dad on the phone, after about five minutes San
came running out with my bag and coat and explained that the waitress had just brought over my complementary glass wrapped up. So we had to do a runner from the bar where everybody knows your name for stealing glasses. What would Sam say?


The original bar that Cheers is based on is on the opposite side of downtown Boston on Beacon Hill. It's where they filmed all the exterior shots for the show. The bar inside is absolutely horrible, all cheap sticky formica tables and grim food smells. We were sat at the bar trying to finish our drinks as quickly as possible when a couple came and sat beside us. After a while the guy turns round and says to me "Are you from Liverpool mate? I'm from Huyton." As Geoff often says 'Scousers can get to places water can't.'

No comments: